History of Wat Ananda Metyarama Buddhist Temple
Wat Ananda Metyarama is considered as one of the oldest temples in Singapore. It was completed in 1925 with a land area of 18,317 square feet, and its former address was at 83, Silat Road, Singapore. Its new and current address is at 50-B Jalan Bukit Merah, Singapore 169645.
After his passing away in 1925, his successor, Phra Rajayankavee had the temple renovated in 1953. The Venerable served as the Abbot of Wat Ananda Metyarama twice, with his appointment briefly interrupted in between by Venerable Maha Amnad Ithiyano. After Phra Rajayankavee, Phraku Bisaldhammanides became the Chief Monk, he started the Youth Circle in 1966 - the FIRST registered Buddhist Youth Circle in Singapore. Dhamma classes were conducted then.
Phraku Bisaldhammanides left for Bangkok in 1974 and our present Abbot Chao Kun Phra Pannadhamvides (Phraku Sucinta) took over as the Abbot. Since then, he has done much to upgrade and expand the Wat's facilities. Besides, he is also the Buddhist Religious Leader involved in the inter-religious organisation, a society that promote religious understanding and harmony in Singapore.
In 1975, he renovated the temple and in 1979 he constructed the pagoda and a 3-storey residential block for monks. Chao Kun Pannadhamvides was conferred the title (i.e. Chao Kun) by the King of Thailand on 5 Dec 1977 and a fecilitation ceremony was held at Wat on 11 Nov 1977 after his return from Thailand. Later, on 5 Jan 1996, he was again conferred a new title Chao Kun Phra Raj Siddhivides by the Thai King. A fecilitation ceremony was held on 8 Dec 1996.
The pagoda was officially declared open by HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, the 2nd daugther of King Bhumipbol Adulyadej, the King of Thailand on 27 Jun 1985.
In 1995, Venerable Chao Kun put up a Kwan Yin Shrine and a new porch in front of the main shrine. Work on a new 3-storey extension that houses the library, Dhamma classrooms and Meditation Hall took place in the same year. The roof layout was a feature adopted from the late Venerable Hong Choon's idea. The building was completed in fiscal year of 1996/97.
On 23 Feb 1986, the Laying of the Holy Stones Foundation (Nimitta Sima), was conducted. The event coincided with Magha Puja Day. With the ceremony completed, the temple has the authority to ordain Monks.
The official opening of the new extension was on June 20, 1997 by Mr Koo Tsai Kee, Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of National Development and MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC.